Objective of the Programme
To provide children who have mobility challenges with the equipment they need to help them live more independently.
How the Programme Works
- The needs of children with mobility problems are wide ranging and include wheelchairs (battery or manual), prosthetics, orthotics, braces etc. Mobility devices are almost always extremely expensive.
- A wheelchair can cost anywhere between US$2,000 and US$ 20,000 depending upon the specifications and degree of customization.
- This programme helps on an individual, case by case basis.
- Equipment is frequently customized to meet the individual needs of a child.
- As the child grows the equipment probably needs to be replaced.
- Recommendations for funding come to Variety from Doctors and Physical Therapists who are familiar with our programme. Some direct appeals are also received.
- Variety is able to help a small number of children each year, perhaps as many as ten.
- Physiotherapists in the programme work at reduced rates and often work above and beyond the call.
WHEN CHILDREN FINALLY GET THE MOBILITY EQUIPMENT THEY NEED, IT IS OFTEN A LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE BOTH PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY. JUST IMAGINE THE SENSE OF FREEDOM AND INDEPENDENCE WHICH WOULD COME WITH BEING ABLE TO GET ABOUT ON YOUR OWN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YOUR LIFE.